Book mentions in this thread

• Votes: 4

Zero Fail

by Carol Leonnig

"Carol Leonnig has been covering the Secret Service for The Washington Post for most of the last decade, bringing to light the gaffes and scandals that plague the agency today--from a toxic work culture to outdated equipment and training to the deep resentment among the ranks with the agency's leadership. But the Secret Service wasn't always so troubled. The Secret Service was born in 1865, in the wake of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, but its story begins in earnest in 1963, with the death of John F. Kennedy. Shocked into reform by their failure to protect the president on that fateful day, this once-sleepy agency was rapidly transformed into a proud, elite unit that would finally redeem themselves in 1981 by valiantly thwarting an assassination attempt against Ronald Reagan. But this reputation for courage and efficiency would not last forever. By Barack Obama's presidency, the Secret Service was becoming notorious for break-ins at the White House, an armed gunman firing at the building while agents stood by, a massive prostitution scandal in Cartagena, and many other dangerous lapses. To expose the these shortcomings, Leonnig interviewed countless current and former agents who risked their careers to speak out about an agency that's broken and in desperate need of a reform"--
  • Votes: 1

The Thursday Murder Club

by Richard Osman

'Such a beacon of pleasure' KATE ATKINSON 'So smart and funny. Deplorably good' IAN RANKIN 'A gripping read' SUNDAY TIMES THE FIRST BOOK IN THE #1 BESTSELLING THURSDAY MURDER CLUB SERIES BY TV PRESENTER RICHARD OSMAN In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet up once a week to investigate unsolved murders. But when a brutal killing takes place on their very doorstep, the Thursday Murder Club find themselves in the middle of their first live case. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves. Can our unorthodox but brilliant gang catch the killer before it's too late? __________________________________ WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT THE THURSDAY MURDER CLUB 'Thrilling, moving, laugh-out-loud funny' MARK BILLINGHAM 'A great read, I really enjoyed it' GRAHAM NORTON 'As the bodies pile up, and more is revealed of the lives and loves of Joyce, Ibrahim, Ron and Elizabeth, you can't help cheering them on - and hoping to meet them again soon' THE TIMES, CRIME BOOK OF THE MONTH 'Mystery fans are going to be enthralled' HARLAN COBEN 'Pure escapism' THE GUARDIAN, BEST CRIME AND THRILLERS OF 2020 'One of the most enjoyable books of the year' DAILY EXPRESS 'Smart, compassionate, warm, moving and so VERY funny' MARIAN KEYES 'As gripping as it is funny' EVENING STANDARD 'Funny, clever and achingly British' ADAM KAY 'An exciting new talent in crime fiction' DAILY MAIL 'A warm, wise and witty warning never to underestimate the elderly' VAL MCDERMID 'Delight after delight from first page to last' RED MAGAZINE 'I completely fell in love with it' SHARI LAPENA 'This is properly brilliant. The pages fly and I can't stop smiling' STEVE CAVANAGH 'Charming, clever debut' STYLIST 'I laughed my arse off' BELINDA BAUER 'A witty and poignant tale' DAILY TELEGRAPH 'Clever, clever plot' FIONA BARTON 'An absolutely delightful read' PRIMA MAGAZINE 'Utterly charming' SARAH PINBOROUGH 'Funny and original' THE SUN 'Properly funny and totally charming... steeped in Agatha Christie joy' ARAMINTA HALL 'This is one of the most delightful novels of the year' DAILY MIRROR 'A bundle of joy' JANE FALLON